Ants can be present anywhere in your house or garden area which can become inconvenient sometimes. When it takes form of nuisance, it becomes a necessity of getting rid of little ants.
Following are few steps to eliminate them:
- Find the entryways and seal them: If you search and find the place they enter from, seal those entryways. You can use a number of repellants to fill the cracks and then seal the opening with caulk.
- Create a barrier: Draw a line and create a barrier around your house where you have seen a lot of ant activity and their trails so that ants don’t enter your house. There are numerous ways to keep ants at bay:
- You can plant chili pepper and mint plants in the house.
- You can use Diatomaceous earth as it is benign for humans and let the ants dehydrate.
- You can also use some of the commercial insecticides but they come with harmful effects and are dangerous for people and the surroundings too.
- Remove the trails: Ants leave behind their scented trails so that other ants can follow them. So the moment you find some ant trail, erase it using soapy water. Take a sponge, and immerse it in a solution of soap water and then wipe away the trails. You can also use white vinegar for the same process.
- Use herbs and repel ants: Along-with clove, the best-known anti-repellent, there are other herbs like Cayenne pepper, peppermint, garlic and cinnamon which are helpful in fighting ants. You can place these spices at the places where you see them crawling most of the times; it can be the countertop or baseboard.
- Poison ants using Borax: Borax is a poisonous chemical that is used to get rid of ants.
Directions for creating bait for ants:
Mix one portion of sweet sticky substance with one portion of Borax and then spread the mixture on an index card. Place the card somewhere you see the ant activity quite often.
Point to remember: As black ants in kitchen always generally tend to search food at night, so try to set this bait at night.
The other regular daily routine chores can also be of help only if you try to do them.
- Keep the sink clean
- Clean the surfaces in the house with bleach
- Clean the kitchen floor
- Remove trash regularly
- Store food in sealed containers